I currently have six queries out there in Literaryland and I ain’t heard nothin’ back from nobody in ages. I guess I really did hit the most conscientious agents first because I got used to hearing back from them within 48 hours. Here’s where I stand at the moment:
– Agent #4..Queried on Jan. 4th. Came back asking for a synopsis of the whole nine books which I sent a couple of days later.
– Agent #12…Only accepts snail mail queries (quite a rarity) which I sent off on Jan. 17th
– Agent #13…Queried on Jan. 18th
– Agent #15…Queried on Jan. 11th. It bounced back so I sent it again and it bounced back again. So I sent an email directly to the agent (a big no-no!)and asked her if I could submit my query directly to her. I didn’t hear back from her so I took that as a no. Today (Feb. 24th) wondered if the problem with the query address had now been fixed and what would happen if I re-re-sent my original query…? So I did. It hasn’t bounced back now I’m hard at work pretending I never sent any of the first three ones.
– Agent #16…was the one here in Los Angeles who asked to see the first 50 pages of my manuscript which I sent him on February 13th.
– Agent #17…Sent query Feb. 18th but it also had the 1st 50 pages attached so let’s give them a chance to read the whole thing.
So that makes 5 days since I sent out my most recent query and 47 days since I replied to my first request for additional material. No wonder I’m feeling antsy. Perhaps I ought to up my “number of queries out there in Literaryland” from 6 to 7…after all, seven is a more magical number…the 7 seas, 7 continents, 7 wonders of the ancient world, 7 hills of Rome, 7 days in a week, Shakespeare’s 7 ages of man, 7 colors of the rainbow, 7 heavenly virtues & 7 deadly sins, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs…okay so maybe that last one is pushing it but I think I’ve just managed to convince myself (read: rationalize my antsy-pantsiness (is that a word?)) that I need to have one more query out there in order to bring my vibe in alignment with what are clearly the natural ways of the world. In addition to which 7 is the lowest number that cannot be represented as the sum of the squares of three integers and if that isn’t enough to convince you, then one or more of your 7 chakras must be completely closed down. Oh! Another 7!